All India Association of Medical Social Work Professionals, New Delhi (AIAMSWP) is a registered non–profit, non-political, National level organization dedicated to the promotion of standards and enhancement of the status of Social Work Profession in health care in India.
AIAMSWP was established in 2009, following the concerns of Professional Social Workers to cater to the need of having an organization at the National level. Since its inception, it has been making attempts to bring Professional Social Workers on one platform so that a collective identity of the Profession could emerge. AIAMSWP intends to fulfill the twin purposes of promoting Social Work Profession in health care within the country together with safeguarding and protecting the interests of Social Work Professionals working in health care. Its Secretariat is located at Govt Medical College and Hospital, Sector 32 Chandigarh and President’s office is located at PGIMER, Chandigarh.
The aims and objectives for which the Association is established are as under:
- To improve the standards of service, teaching, training and research on the subject of Medical and Psychiatric Social Work at all levels,
- To promote research in the specialty of Medical and Psychiatric Social Work, and the effective application of the knowledge acquired in teaching, training, research and services,
- To develop cooperation in teaching, training, research, and service between the departments of Medical and Psychiatric Social Work of various Medical Colleges/ Institutions in the country,
- To facilitate co-ordination amongst the departments of Medical and Psychiatric Social Work and other departments of Medical Colleges Institutions and Health Agencies/ Organizations,
- To promote welfare of the professionals of Medical and Psychiatric Social Work,
- To publish a journal which will be in furtherance of these aims, and will be the official organ of the Society.
History of All India Association of Medical Social Work Professionals, New Delhi. (AIAMSWP)
In the period when our Medical Social Work Professionals were putting their best foot forward in all aspects of medical setting contributing in patient health care in the medical set ups all over the country. There came in, the idea to bring up a platform for the recognition for our Medical Social Work Professionals and improve the Professional competence in the country.
With the extensive initiatives by Visionaries, The All India Association of Medical Social Work Professionals (AIAMSWP) was formed on 13th July 2009 in the meeting convened by Sh. Pankaj Singh, Sh. Sushil Mishra, Sh Ajay Kumar Singh and Sh. Aftab Alam Shah under chairmanship of Sh. R.C. Mishra, Chief Medical Social Service Officer, AIIMS, New Delhi in Seminar Hall, Medical Superintendent office, AIIMS, new Delhi. The original 49 founder members included Dr. O P Giri, Sh. A. K Jain from PGIMER, Chandigarh, Ms. Rashmi Sharma, Sh. Sushil Kumar Mishra, from Safdarjung Hospital Delhi, Sh. Pankaj Singh from SGPGI, Lucknow, Dr. Anil Kumar Goswami, Sh. Aftab Alam Shah, Sh. B.R. Sekhar from AIIMS, New Delhi, Ms. Gurmit Kaur from Jammu, Ms. Sanju Das from Amritsar, Sh. Ajay Kumar Singh, Sh. Narendra Singh Tomer from Meerut, Dr. Girish D. Trivedi, Sh. Amar Vyas from Ahmadabad, Ms. N. Jeevanmala from Imphal.
Ms. Rashmi Sharma, Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi served the organisation as first President, Sh.Ajay Kumar and Sh. B.R. Shekhar the Vice President of the AIAMSWP. Dr. Anil Goswami was elected as the Founder General Secretary and Sh. Sushil Mishra & B.R. Sekhar Joint Secretary, Sh. Aftab Alam Shah Treasurer. Dr. O. P. Giri was first elected Zonal Secretary (North), Sh. Pankaj Singh Zonal Secretary (Central), Dr. Girish D. Trivedi, Zonal Secretary (West) and Ms. N. Jeevanmala Devi (North-East Zone).
The Association was registered at New Delhi on 26 September, 2011 under the Societies Act XXI of 1860. The Memorandum of Association had eight members who included Dr Anil Kumar Goswami, Dr. O. P. Giri, Sh. Ajay Kumar Singh, Mrs. Gurmeet Kaur Bhatia, Ms. Sanju Das, Dr. U. P. Jagdale, Dr. Girishchandra D. Trivedi and Sh. Narendra Kr. Singh.
- The year 2014 was an important landmark in the history of AIAMSWP when the First National Seminar/Conference of the Association was held at PGIMER, Chandigarh on 23th March 2014 under the leadership of Dr. O. P. Giri.
- Subsequently, the Annual National Seminar/Conference of the Association were organised on a periodical basis in the country like previously held at AIIMS New Delhi, Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, KGMU Lucknow, GMCH Chandigarh and JIPMER, Puducherry.
- Another feather in the cap of AIAMSWP the advent of E journal started in the year January 2019 with Dr. Narendra Kumar Singh, CIP, Ranchi, as the first chief editor.
- “Indian Journal of Health Social Work” is an open access to half yearly e-journal which provides a platform to disseminate information and new updates among medical Social Work Practitioners working in the field healthcare. Along with focusing on the quantity also takes care of the quality of the research pursuits.
- One another publication is being published by AIAMSWP in the form of a newsletter. The newsletter will give information of activities of AIAMSWP. The first Editor of this newsletter is Sh. Sanjay Bhonge from FWTRC, Mumbai.